COVID-19: ENUGU STATE COMMISSIONER OF POLICE REAFFIRMS THE COMMAND’S DETERMINATION TO ENFORCE ALL GOVERNMENT RESTRICTION ORDERS
- As part of measures to further curtail the spread of the dreaded Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Enugu State, the Government, through her Secretary, Prof. Simon Uchenna Ortuanya, has ordered the closure of all land borders, inter-state transportation and all markets in the State till further notice, with effect from 1800hrs of Tuesday, 31st March, 2020. While the only exemption include those dealing on food items, water, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment and other basic daily domestic needs, who must comply with the stipulated standard hygiene protocol by Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), including frequent hand washing with soap, use of sanitizer and social distancing.
- The above is in addition to the earlier order issued by the Governor, Rt. Hon. (Dr.) Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, directing the closure of all educational institutions in the State, while all Public Officers/Civil Servants are to work from home till further notice; suspension of all cultural and social gatherings, including marriage and burial ceremonies, masquerade festivals, drinking bars, night clubs and all group sporting and recreational activities.
- The orders, which are limited to only those performing essential duties, further directed the strict observation of the stipulated social distancing protocol during public religious worship as well as in restaurants and eateries; while public transport operators in the State are to observe the following rules on passengers’ conveyance in each instance: a). Tricycle (Keke) – not more than two (2) passengers, b).
Commuter Buses – not more than two (2) passengers per seat, and c). City Cab – not more than three (3) passengers.
- Sequel to the above, the Commissioner of Police, Enugu State Command of the Nigeria Police Force, CP Ahmad Abdurrahman MCPSS, MCJ, MNIM, while entreating citizens of the State to remain law-abiding and voluntarily comply with the orders, has reaffirmed the determination of the Command to strictly enforce the orders, stating that anyone found flouting the orders will be made to bear the heavy burden of the law.
- Consequently, the Commissioner has directed all Area Commanders, DPOs and Heads of Tactical/Operational Departments of the Command to ensure strict enforcement of the orders. He further charged all Officers to observe the stipulated personal preventive measures on COVID-19 and ensure utmost professionalism while performing their duties in these trying times, as any contrary act or conduct will attract severe disciplinary sanctions.
- Meanwhile, the good citizens of the State have been advised to be vigilant, focused and adhere to the stipulated preventive measures as well as be united in the fight against the pandemic COVID-19. They have also been enjoined to report anyone found violating the law to the nearest Police Station or by calling the Command on: 08032003702, 08075390882 or 08086671202 or by sending an electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
*ASP DANIEL E. NDUKWE*
Police Public Relations Officer,
*FOR* : Commissioner of Police,
Enugu State Police Command